Thursday, January 25, 2007

Banned Books


Thanks to the wonder that is stumbleupon I've just come across this little gem: Forbidden Library (and through it to this one) a list of books previously banned or objected to. I'm pleased to say I have actually read quite a few of them, probably making me a godless pinko subversive in the eyes of many of the type of people that seem to have done most of the objecting.

Along with the obvious choices, 1984, Fahrenheit 451 etc there are some pretty unusual choices, who I wonder would really object to Charlie and The Chocolate Factory because it espouses "a poor philosophy of life", alright both film versions were creepy, but I always remember the book being alright.

I'm thinking of using the list as a sort of "must read" compilation, though I'm not that fussed about reading "The Celluloid Closet", or "Where's Waldo" for that matter.

No comments: